30/07/2005 — 2/09/2005
The Grundy Salon
Blackpool Council commissioned the building of the Grundy Art Gallery in 1908, following a bequest of thirty-three artworks and a financial gift from brothers Cuthbert and John Grundy.
The gallery opened in 1911, and in 1912 a purchase fund for new artworks was set up. The collection now contains close to two thousand objects, including Victorian oils and watercolours, modern British paintings, contemporary prints jewellery and video, and photographs of historic Blackpool. The Grundy Salon features two hundred of these artworks, including some that have never been publicly displayed in the gallery.
Artists included: Anna Airy, Craigie Aitchinson, Patience Arnold, John Smith Atherton, Delmar Banner, Frank Moss Bennett, Samuel John 'Lamorna' Birch, Nina Blaker, Edgar Bundy, Harry Bush, Jeffrey Camp, Vera Cave, Yvonne Cole, Thomas Sidney Cooper, Tulley Crook, Laurence Daws, Lisa de Montford, Frank Dicksee, Fred Elwell, Florence Englebach, Thomas Faed, Alan Freer, Fransceco Furini, Henry Gillard Glindoni, Alan Gordon, Jules Goupil, Cuthbert Grundy, John Grundy, Edward Hargitt, George Elgar Hicks, Robert Alexander Hillingford, Patrick Hughes, Augustus John, David Johnson, Quentin King, Harry Kingsley, Nick Kowalski, Achille Lauge, Rowland Lindup, John Linnell, Patti Mayor, Reginald Mills, Danka Napiorkowska, Paul Nash, Brendan Neiland, Makoto Nomura, Julius Olsson, Malcolm Osborne, Picasso, John Piper, Princess Patricia of Connaught, J. Charles Ricketts, Fred Roe, Bevis Sale, William Shayer, Howard Somerville, Charles Spencelayh, Emillio L. Tafani, Joseph Thors, Albert Turner, Eugene Verboeckhoven, Pauline Vivienne, Harry Watson, James Webb, Lucy Kemp Welsh, John Thomas Whitaker, Elizabeth Wood, Claire H. Yarrington, Lesley Young.